Book Store Blues

Just a bookworm with her head in the stars and a TBR pile taller than she is.

Sleeping Giants

Sleeping Giants - Sylvain Neuvel

"It dares us to question everything we know about ourselves...about everything"

'Sleeping Giants' gave off the feeling of 'The Iron Giant' meets 'Pacific Rim' with a little bit of political and historical context into what may actually happen, were the world to discover that there were, in fact, pieces of a giant robot buried in various places around the world. The book follows five(ish) main characters each that have different parts to play in an increasingly elaborate plan that spans over different continents creating different political issues spawning from previously established tensions.

What I personally found interesting about one of the various topics addressed in the book, is how ready people in positions of power seem to be to sacrifice other people for what they deem to be the greater good. They deny the fact that they are willing to place people in dangerous situations, especially situations that would call for the harm of mass amount of people, yet when they are faced with the opportunities to collect pieces of their global puzzle for national gain, then they are willing to authorise or look the other way if they believe that the action was necessary in order to make things happen. The book itself is presented in a way that you do not get overly attached to the main characters, and instead follow the book for the ideas and storyline presented while accepting the characters that are presented to us as a part of a larger story.

The format of the story, based off of my personal reading history can only be compared to the structure of 'Illuminae' (by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff), as the majority of what we read is told by a nameless CIA agent with the occasional journal entry from on of the various main characters, or news article. By presenting the story in such a way we are able to witness many parts of the world being explored at any one time. I do, however, wish that the amount of time that had passed within entries had been addressed in the headers at the beginning of each chapter as well as part of the way through so that we, as readers, could develop a better understanding of the full timeline by the end of the book, rather than having to pay extra attention in the middle of a chapter to figure out how much time has passed since we last heard from certain characters.

All in all, I look forward to the sequels.